Our History

Our History

Lightway Church is a part of the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches in Canada. The Fellowship is a family of nearly 500 churches scattered across Canada from the Yukon to the tip of Nova Scotia. The Fellowship was born in 1953 out of a desire for a nation-wide body of churches committed to the truth of God’s Word and the proclamation of salvation through Jesus Christ.

Lightway dwells in the east-end of Hamilton, Ontario, a city “located at the head of Lake Ontario, between Niagara Falls and Toronto. According to the 2001 census, Hamilton’s population was 490,268 making it the eighth largest city in Canada. Demonstrating the city’s diversity, nearly one-quarter of the metropolitan area population of Hamilton is foreign-born. This makes Hamilton the Canadian city with the third highest proportion of foreign-born citizens after Toronto (44%) and Vancouver (38%).

Lightway is a daughter work of Hughson Street Baptist Church in Hamilton’s north-end. In 2004, under their pastor Dwayne Cline, Hughson began plans to multiply their impact through training church planters. Mark Vincent and Ian Havercroft were selected as church planters in 2005, and affirmed in their goal to plant a church in the multi-cultural east-end community of Riverdale.

A team was raised up from members at Hughson and other Fellowship churches to prepare for the plant. In September 2007, with the support of dozens of individuals and churches, Lightway Church held its’ first public worship gathering in Lake Avenue Public School in Riverdale.